- Bachelor of Science, Physics, University of North Texas, May 1999
- Bachelor of Science, Mathematics, University of North Texas, May 1999
- Master of Science, Decision Technologies, University of North Texas, May 2001
- Doctor of Philosophy, Operations Research, Southern Methodist University, December 2010
Relevant Professional Appointments
- 8.2013 – present Assistant Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering, Univ of Oklahoma
- 10.2008 – 8.2013 Director and Founder, CN Analytics LLC, North Richland Hills, TX
- 8.2007 – 8.2013 Teaching Professor, Engineering and Information Science, DeVry, Dallas, TX
- 5.2002 – 8.2007 Director of Consumer Analysis, Blockbuster, Dallas, TX
- 2.2000 – 5.2002 Statistical Analyst, UICI (Health Markets), North Richland Hills, TX
- 9.1997 – 9.1999 Research/Academic Assistant, Univ of North Texas
Center for Risk-Based Community Resilience Planning
National Institute of Standards and Technology
Co-Principal Investigator: 02.01.2015 to 01.31.2020
Total: $20,000,000; OU portion: $1,374,998; Nicholson: $458,332
Collaborative Research: Resilience Analytics: A Data-Driven Approach for Enhanced Interdependent Network Resilience
National Science Foundation
Co-Principal Investigator: 10.15.2015 to 10.14.2018
Total: $2,209,129; OU portion: $534,040; Nicholson: $267,020
Data mining applications for gaming data
Principal Investigator: 01.15.2016 to 5.15.2017
Total: $40,000; Nicholson: $40,000
- Morshedlou, N., K. Barker, G. Sansavini, C. Nicholson. 2017. Adaptive capacity planning formulation for infrastructure networks. Accepted in Journal of Infrastructure Systems.
- Zhang, W., P. Lin, N. Wang, C. Nicholson, X. Xue. 2018. Probabilistic prediction of post-disaster functionality loss of community building portfolios considering utility disruptions. ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Special Issue on Structural Design and Robustness for Community Resilience to Natural Hazards. 144(4), 04018015. LINK [bibTex] (download)
- Zhang, W., N. Wang, C. Nicholson. 2017. Resilience-based post-disaster recovery strategies for road-bridge networks. Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 13(11):1404-1413 DOI:10.1080/15732479.2016.1271813 LINK [bibTex] (download)
- Almoghathawi, Y., K. Barker, C.M. Rocco, and C. Nicholson. 2017. A multi-criteria decision analysis approach for importance ranking of network components. Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 158: 142-151 LINK [bibTex](download)
- Nicholson, C., L. Goodwin, and C. Clark. 2017. Variable neighborhood search for reverse engineering of gene regulatory networks. Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 65:120-131 LINK [bibTex](download)
- Barker, K., J. Lambert, C. Zobel, A. Tapia, J. Ramirez-Marquez, L. McLay, C. Caragea, C. Nicholson. 2017. Defining resilience analytics for interdependent cyber-physical-social networks. Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure, 2(2):59-67 [LINK] [bibTex](download)
- Nicholson, C., K. Barker, and J.E. Ramirez-Marquez. 2016. Flow-based vulnerability measures for network component importance: Experimentation with preparedness planning. Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 145: 62-73 LINK [bibTex](download)
- Zhang, W. and C. Nicholson. 2016. Prediction-based relaxation solution approach for the fixed-charge network flow problem. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 99:106-11 LINK [bibTex](download)
- Nicholson, C. and W. Zhang. 2016. Optimal network flow: A predictive analytics perspective on the fixed-charge network flow problem. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 99:260-268 LINK [bibTex] (download)
- Zhang, W. and C. Nicholson. 2016. A multi-objective optimization model for retrofit strategies to mitigate direct economic loss and population dislocation. Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure, 1 (3-4):123-136 LINK [bibTex](download)
- Kennington, J. and C. Nicholson. 2010. The uncapacitated time-space fixed-charge network flow problem: An empirical investigation of procedures for arc capacity assignment. INFORMS Journal on Computing, 22: 326-337. LINK [bibTex]
- Zhang, W. and C. Nicholson. 2016. Objective scaling ensemble approach for mixed integer programming. In revision in Journal of Heursitics.
- Zhang, W., N. Wang, C. Nicholson, and M. Tehrani. (2017). A Stage-wise Decision Framework for Transportation Network Resilience Planning and Recovery. In review in Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure.
- Darayi, M., K. Barker, C. Nicholson. 2016. A multi-industry economic impact perspective on adaptive capacity planning in a freight transportation network. In review in International Journal of Production Economics.
Conference Papers and Presentations
- Bosco, V., C. Nicholson. (2018).Dynamic Decision Models for Port Shutdown and Ship Rerouting. Conference paper accepted 2018 IISE Annual Conference, Orlando, FL, May 2018
- Rodriguez, A., C. Nicholson. (2018). IISE Data-based Methodology for Mitigation Decision-making in Critical Infrastructure. Conference paper accepted at 2018 IISE 2018 Annual Conference, Orlando, FL, May 2018.
- Zhang, W., C. Nicholson (2018). Interdependent Network Recovery Problem. 2018 IISE Annual Conference, Orlando, FL, May 2018.
- Nicholson, C., P. Calle, J. Appleyard. (2018) A hybrid machine learning and optimization modeling application for economic analysis. Learning and Intelligent Optimization Conference (LION 12), Kalamata, Greece, June 10-15, 2018.
- Zhang W., N. Wang, C. Nicholson, M. Tehrani M. 2017. Stage-wised Resilience Planning for Transportation Networks. Presented at the 12th International Conference on Structural Safety and Reliability, Technische Universitat Wien, Vienna, Austria.
- Nicholson C., Intelligent Data Analytics. Invited speaker at the October 2017 OKC Innovates Big Data Symposium, Oklahoma City, OK, USA. (download)
- Cutler, H., C. Nicholson, N. Wang, S. Zahran. 2016. Merging Economic and Civil Engineering Models to Estimate the Impact of Earthquakes. Paper accepted and presented at 55th Annual Meeting of the Southern Regional Science Association, Washington, D.C.
- Zhang, W., N. Wang, C. Nicholson. 2016. Resilience-Based Risk Mitigation and Recovery for Highway Transportation Network. Presented at the Probabilistic Mechanics & Reliability Conference 2016, Nashville, TN.
- Zhang, W., N. Wang, C. Nicholson. 2016. Resilience-Based Post-disaster Recovery Strategies for Community Road-bridge Networks. Presented at INFORMS Annual Meeting, Nashville, TN.
- Zhang, W., C. Nicholson. 2016. A Multi-objective Optimization Model for Mitigating Community Economic Loss and Population Dislocation. Presented at INFORMS Annual Meeting, Nashville, TN.
- Zhang, W., C. Nicholson. 2016. Objective Scaling Ensemble Approach for Integer Linear Programming. Presented at INFORMS Annual Meeting, Nashville, TN.
- Nicholson, C. and W. Zhang. 2015. Optimal Flow Analysis. Presented at INFORMS Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
- Zhang, W. and C. Nicholson. 2015. Regression Based Relaxation. Presented at INFORMS Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
- Barker, K., C. Nicholson, and J.E. Ramirez-Marquez. 2014. Resilience-based importance measures for network design optimization. Presented at Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference, Montreal, QC.
- Clark, C. and C. Nicholson. 2013. Distributed parallel process particle swarm optimization on fixed charge network flow problems. Presented at INFORMS Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN.
- Nicholson, C. 2010. Generalized time-space fixed-charge network flows. Presented at INFORMS Annual Meeting. Austin, TX.
Works in progress
- Rodriguez, A., C. Nicholson, N. Wang. Resilience interventions. Work in progress.
- Rodriguez, A., C. Nicholson. Novel Approach to Component Importance Measures (I). Work in progress.
- Rodriguez, A., C. Nicholson, Bhavaraju, S. Novel Approach to Component Importance Measures (II). Work in progress.
- Calle, P., C. Nicholson. High fidelty analysis of multi-objective optimization retrofit strategies to mitigate direct economic loss and population dislocation. Work in progress.
- Bosco, V., C. Nicholson. Port resilience. Work in progress.
- Wang, D., C. Nicholson. Network performance heuristics for resilience strategies. Work in progress.
- Chang, Y., C. Nicholson. Network recovery objective modeling. Work in progress.
- Perret, O., C. Nicholson. Novel matching approach for ATE estimation. Work in progress.
- Nicholson, C., N. Wang, H. Cutler, S. Zahran. Engineering and economic modeling for community mitigation decision-making. Work in progress
- Beyney, C., S. Bhavaraju, C. Nicholson. 2017. Quantitative analysis of social media sensitivity to natural disasters. Work in progress.
- Developed proprietary data analytics solutions for eight corporations across the nation and internationally over 12 years. Projects included a wide variety of predictive and prescriptive analytics for diverse companies representing multi-billion dollar retail, finance, and restaurant industries. An excerpt of successful data-intensive solutions included customer-level behavior prediction, fraudulent activity detection, geographic information systems (GIS) strategic and competitive targeting, and product allocation optimization.
- Developing new core curriculum a new interdisciplinary program: Masters in Data Science and Analytics.
- Serves on the Editorial board of the new Taylor and Francis journal Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure (2015-2018)
- Collaborating with multiple universities and NIST as member of the “Community Resilience Center of Excellence” team to develop NIST-Community Resilience Modeling Environment (IN-CORE).
- Colorado State University, Rice University,Oregon State University,University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Texas A&M University, University of Washington,University of South Alabama,California Polytechnic University in Pomona, Texas A&M-Kingsville
- Collaborating with multiple universities and the NSF regarding “Resilience Analytics” on a newly funded NSF-CRISP multi-year interdisciplinary project
- Penn State,University of Wisconsin, University of Virginia,Virginia Tech, Stephens Institute of Technology,University of North Texas
- Serves on the Editorial board of Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure
Collaborators and Other Affiliations
University of Oklahoma: Kash Barker (OU ISE), Naiyu Wang (OU Civil Engineering)
Colorado State University: Bruce Ellingwood (Civil and Environmental Engineering), John W. van de Lindt (Civil and Environmental Engineering), Sammy Zahran (Economics), Harvey Cutler (Economics)
Texas A&M: Walt Peacock, Nathaniel Rosenheim (Hazard Reduction & Recovery Center, Department of Landscape Architecture & Urban Planning)
Others: Jose E. Ramirez-Marquez (Stevens Institute of Technology, Systems and Enterprises), Paolo Gardoni (University of Illinois – Urbana-Champaign, Civil and Environmental Engineering), Jong Lee (University of Illinois – Urbana-Champaign, National Center for Supercomputing Applications)
ISE PhD candidates/students: Vera Bosco, Sai Theja Bhavraju, Yunjie Wen
ISE MS students: Yanbin Chang
DSA MS students: Alex Beene, Alexander Rodríguez Castillo, Paúl Calle
Former PhD Students (1)
2017: Weili Zhang (PhD ISE) — Machine Learning Engineer at eBay
Former Master Students (14)
2017: Megan Snelling (MS ISE), Alexandra Amidon (MS DSA), Emily Grimes (MS DSA), Samineh Nayeri (MS ISE), Pauline Ribeyre (MS ISE), Yunjie Wen (MS DSA), Gowtham Talluru (MS DSA)
2016: Olivia Perret (MS ISE), Param Tripathi (MS ISE)
2015: Leslie Goodwin (MS ISE), Oluwafemi Oseni (MS ISE), Diana Wang (MS ISE), Cyril Beyney (MS ISE), Weili Zhang (MS DSA)
- 2017 Gallogly College of Engineering Teaching Scholar Award winner
- ISE 5103 Intelligent Data Analytics (Spring ’14, Fall ’14, Fall ’15, Fall ’16, Fall ’17)
- Campus and online offerings
- ISE 5113 Advanced Analytics and Metaheuristics (Spring ’15, Spring ’16, Spring ’17)
- Campus and online offerings
- ISE 3293/5013 Applied Engineering Statistics (Summer ’14, Fall ’14, Summer ’15, Fall ’15)
- ISE 4113 Spreadsheet-based Decision Support Systems (Fall ’16, Fall ’17)
- Served 1 year term on board of directors for the non-profit Luggage With Love (2016)
- Volunteer at Victory Family Iglesia : photography and musician (2017-present)
- Fluent in Spanish
- Active backpacker
- Crossfit member at Koda Crossfit Norman since (2016-present)
- Proud soccer dad and kid’s coach (Go Power Ponies! Go Punishers!) and player (Total Chaos!)
- Beginner level rock climber at Climb Up