- Bachelor of Science, Physics, University of North Texas, May 1999
- Bachelor of Science, Mathematics, University of North Texas, May 1999
- Master of Science, Decision Technologies, University of North Texas, May 2001
- Doctor of Philosophy, Operations Research, Southern Methodist University, December 2010
Relevant Professional Appointments
- 8.2013 – present Assistant Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering, Univ of Oklahoma
- 10.2008 – 8.2013 Director and Founder, CN Analytics LLC, North Richland Hills, TX
- 8.2007 – 8.2013 Teaching Professor, Engineering and Information Science, DeVry, Dallas, TX
- 5.2002 – 8.2007 Director of Consumer Analysis, Blockbuster, Dallas, TX
- 2.2000 – 5.2002 Statistical Analyst, UICI (Health Markets), North Richland Hills, TX
- 9.1997 – 9.1999 Research/Academic Assistant, Univ of North Texas
Center for Risk-Based Community Resilience Planning
National Institute of Standards and Technology
Co-Principal Investigator: 02.01.2015 to 01.31.2020
Total: $20,000,000; OU portion: $1,374,998; Nicholson: $458,332
Collaborative Research: Resilience Analytics: A Data-Driven Approach for Enhanced Interdependent Network Resilience
National Science Foundation
Co-Principal Investigator: 10.15.2015 to 10.14.2018
Total: $2,209,129; OU portion: $534,040; Nicholson: $267,020
Data mining applications for gaming data
Principal Investigator: 01.15.2016 to 5.15.2017
Total: $40,000; Nicholson: $40,000
- Zhang, W., N. Wang, C. Nicholson. 2017. Resilience-based post-disaster recovery strategies for road-bridge networks. Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, Accepted. LINK
- Almoghathawi, Y., K. Barker, C.M. Rocco, and C. Nicholson. 2017. A multi-criteria decision analysis approach for importance ranking of network components. Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 158: 142-151 LINK [bibTex]
- Nicholson, C., L. Goodwin, and C. Clark. 2017. Variable neighborhood search for reverse engineering of gene regulatory networks. Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 65:120-131 LINK [bibTex]
- Nicholson, C., K. Barker, and J.E. Ramirez-Marquez. 2016. Flow-based vulnerability measures for network component importance: Experimentation with preparedness planning. Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 145: 62-73 LINK [bibTex]
- Zhang, W. and C. Nicholson. 2016. Prediction-based relaxation solution approach for the fixed-charge network flow problem. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 99:106-11 LINK [bibTex]
- Nicholson, C. and W. Zhang. 2016. Optimal network flow: A predictive analytics perspective on the fixed-charge network flow problem. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 99:260-268 LINK [bibTex]
- Barker, K., J. Lambert, C. Zobel, A. Tapia, J. Ramirez-Marquez, L. McLay, C. Caragea, C. Nicholson. 2016. Defining resilience analytics for interdependent cyber-physical-social networks. Accepted for publication in Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure.
- Zhang, W. and C. Nicholson. 2016. A multi-objective optimization model for retrofit strategies to mitigate direct economic loss and population dislocation. Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure, 1 (3-4):123-136 LINK [bibTex]
- Kennington, J. and C. Nicholson. 2010. The uncapacitated time-space fixed-charge network flow problem: An empirical investigation of procedures for arc capacity assignment. INFORMS Journal on Computing, 22: 326-337. LINK [bibTex]
- Darayi, M., K. Barker, C. Nicholson. 2016. A multi-industry economic impact perspective on adaptive capacity planning in a freight transportation network. Submitted to International Journal of Production Economics.
- Zhang, W. and C. Nicholson. 2016. Objective scaling ensemble approach for mixed integer programming. Submitted to European Journal of Operational Research.
- Zhang, W., P. Lin, N. Wang, C.Nicholson, X. Xue. 2016. Probabilistic prediction of post-disaster functionality loss of community building portfolios considering utility disruptions. Submitted to Journal of Structural Engineering.
- Morshedlou, N., K. Barker, G. Sansavini, C. Nicholson. 2017. Adaptive capacity planning formulation for infrastructure networks. Submitted to Journal of Infrastructure Systems.
Conference Papers and Presentations
- Cutler, H., C. Nicholson, N. Wang, S. Zahran. 2016. Merging Economic and Civil Engineering Models to Estimate the Impact of Earthquakes. Paper accepted and presented at 55th Annual Meeting of the Southern Regional Science Association, Washington, D.C.
- Zhang, W., N. Wang, C.Nicholson. 2016. Resilience-Based Risk Mitigation and Recovery for Highway Transportation Network. Presented at the Probabilistic Mechanics & Reliability Conference 2016, Nashville, TN.
- Zhang, W., N. Wang, C. Nicholson. 2016. Resilience-Based Post-disaster Recovery Strategies for Community Road-bridge Networks. Presented at INFORMS Annual Meeting, Nashville, TN.
- Zhang, W., C. Nicholson. 2016. A Multi-objective Optimization Model for Mitigating Community Economic Loss and Population Dislocation. Presented at INFORMS Annual Meeting, Nashville, TN.
- Zhang, W., C. Nicholson. 2016. Objective Scaling Ensemble Approach for Integer Linear Programming. Presented at INFORMS Annual Meeting, Nashville, TN.
- Nicholson, C. and W. Zhang. 2015. Optimal Flow Analysis. Presented at INFORMS Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
- Zhang, W. and C. Nicholson. 2015. Regression Based Relaxation. Presented at INFORMS Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
- Barker, K., C. Nicholson, and J.E. Ramirez-Marquez. 2014. Resilience-based importance measures for network design optimization. Presented at Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference, Montreal, QC.
- Clark, C. and C. Nicholson. 2013. Distributed parallel process particle swarm optimization on fixed charge network flow problems. Presented at INFORMS Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN.
- Nicholson, C. 2010. Generalized time-space fixed-charge network flows. Presented at INFORMS Annual Meeting. Austin, TX.
Works in progress
- Wang, D., C. Nicholson, and K. Barker. Network performance heuristics for resilience strategies. Work in progress.
- Beyney, C. and C. Nicholson, C. Quantitative analysis of social media sensitivity to natural disasters. Work in progress.
- Perret, O. and C. Nicholson. Novel matching approach for ATE estimation. Work in progress.
- Amidon, A., E. Grimes, C. Nicholson, and C. Clark. Performance analysis of internal indices for k-means clustering. Work in progress.
- Rodriguez, A. and C. Nicholson. Resilience interventions. Work in progress.
- Nicholson, C., N. Wang, H. Cutler, S. Zahran. Economic analysis of taxation policies for multi-criteria optimal building retrofit. Work in progress.
- Developed proprietary data analytics solutions for eight corporations across the nation and internationally over 12 years. Projects included a wide variety of predictive and prescriptive analytics for diverse companies representing multi-billion dollar retail, finance, and restaurant industries. An excerpt of successful data-intensive solutions included customer-level behavior prediction, fraudulent activity detection, geographic information systems (GIS) strategic and competitive targeting, and product allocation optimization.
- Developing new core curriculum a new interdisciplinary program: Masters in Data Science and Analytics.
- Serves on the Editorial board of the new Taylor and Francis journal Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure (2015-2018)
- Collaborating with multiple universities and NIST as member of the “Community Resilience Center of Excellence” team to develop NIST-Community Resilience Modeling Environment (NIST-CORE).
- Colorado State University, Rice University,Oregon State University,University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Texas A&M University, University of Washington,University of South Alabama,California Polytechnic University in Pomona, Texas A&M-Kingsville
- Collaborating with multiple universities and the NSF regarding “Resilience Analytics” on a newly funded NSF-CRISP multi-year interdisciplinary project
- Penn State,University of Wisconsin, University of Virginia,Virginia Tech, Stephens Institute of Technology,University of North Texas
- Serves on the Editorial board of Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure
Collaborators and Other Affiliations
University of Oklahoma: Kash Barker (OU ISE), Naiyu Wang (OU Civil Engineering)
Colorado State University: Bruce Ellingwood (Civil and Environmental Engineering), John W. van de Lindt (Civil and Environmental Engineering), Sammy Zahran (Economics), Harvey Cutler (Economics)
Texas A&M: Walt Peacock, Nathaniel Rosenheim (Hazard Reduction & Recovery Center, Department of Landscape Architecture & Urban Planning)
Others: Jose E. Ramirez-Marquez (Stevens Institute of Technology, Systems and Enterprises), Paolo Gardoni (University of Illinois – Urbana-Champaign, Civil and Environmental Engineering), Jong Lee (University of Illinois – Urbana-Champaign, National Center for Supercomputing Applications)
ISE PhD candidates/students: Weili Zhang, Vera Bosco
ISE MS students: Adnan Alimahomed, Yanbin Chang, Samineh Nayeri, Megan Snelling
DSA MS students: Alexandra Amidon, Alex Beene, Emily Grimes, Stephen Gonzalez, Alexander Rodríguez Castillo, Yunjie Wen, Paul Calle
Leslie Goodwin (MS ISE 2015), Oluwafemi Oseni (MS ISE 2015), Diana Wang (MS ISE 2015), Cyril Beyney (MS ISE 2015), Olivia Perret (MS ISE 2016), Param Tripathi (MS ISE 2016)
- ISE 5103 Intelligent Data Analytics (Spring ’14, Fall ’14, Fall ’15, Fall ’16)
- Campus and online offerings
- ISE 5113 Advanced Analytics and Metaheuristics (Spring ’15, Spring ’16, Spring ’17)
- Campus and online offerings
- ISE 3293/5013 Applied Engineering Statistics (Summer ’14, Fall ’14, Summer ’15, Fall ’15)
- ISE 4113 Spreadsheet-based Decision Support Systems (Fall ’16)
- Served 1 year term on board of directors for the non-profit Luggage With Love (2016)
- Fluent in Spanish
- Active backpacker
- Crossfit member at Koda Crossfit Norman since January 2016
- Proud soccer dad and kid’s coach (Go White Wolves! Go Punishers!) and player (Total Chaos!)