Dr. Nicholson teaches two of the required graduate courses in the Masters of Data Science and Analytics program at the University of Oklahoma:
- ISE/DSA 5103 — Intelligent Data Analysis (Fall)
- ISE/DSA 5113 — Advanced Analytics & Metaheuristics (Spring)
A brief description (and/or video) below will tell you a little bit more about these courses.
ISE/DSA 5103 — Intelligent Data Analysis
Intelligent Data Analytics is an approach to addressing real-world data intensive problems that integrates human intuition with data analysis tools to best draw out meaningful insights. Topics include problem approach and framing, data cleansing, exploratory analysis and visualization, dimension reduction, linear and logistic regression, decision trees, and clustering. Students will be introduced to a powerful open source statistical programming language (R) and work on hands-on, applied data analysis projects.
The course focuses on developing mastery in 4 areas:
- Defining and framing Analytics Problems,
- Understanding how to deal with Data,
- Application of appropriate Analytical tools and methods,
- Discover, interpret, and communicate actionable Insight
ISE 5113 — Advanced Analytics & Metaheuristics
Advanced Analytics and Metaheuristics builds on the foundation established in Intelligent Data Analytics (ISE 5103) to explore and apply advanced techniques for addressing complex and potentially data intensive problems. Focus is on developing and employing problem solving strategies using advanced methods in the context of Data Science and Analytics. Topics include both continuous and combinatorial optimization with an emphasis on traditional techniques such as mathematical programming as well as modern heuristics such as simulated annealing, evolutionary algorithms, and swarm optimization. Students will use programming skills to implement algorithms and solve problems.
The course focuses on developing mastery in 3 areas:
- Mathematical modeling of complex problems
- Collaborative development of solution strategies
- Implementation of advanced analytics method to solve complex problems