I got an email from a current student in the analytics courses. He is doing an internship this summer with Pioneer Natural Resources and told me that they are looking for additional intern this summer. If you are interested, please see the following listing for a Data Scientist / Machine Learning Engineering Intern. Email Dr. Nicholson if you would like to apply.
“Pioneer Natural Resources is a large, Texas-based independent exploration and production company that is focused on helping to meet the world’s energy needs. We deliver industry-leading production and reserve growth through onshore, unconventional, oil and gas resource development in the United States, while providing opportunities for growth and enrichment for our business partners, employees and the communities in which we operate.”
Pioneer Natural Resources
Data Scientist / Machine Learning Engineering Intern
We are currently seeking Graduate/Undergraduate students (advanced degrees preferred – M.S., Ph.D.) for Pioneer’s Analytics intern program with a strong fundamental understanding of various modern Artificial Intelligence (AI) and machine-learning (ML) methods, and with good experience in a few of the following areas: deep neural networks / LSTM, tensor factorization, reinforcement learning, Markov Random Fields, Bayesian networks, signal processing, distributed computing, operations research and large scale optimization. The candidate(s) may work on one or more of the following:
- Research and develop data analytics (including streaming) and / or machine learning systems for Upstream Exploration & Production (E&P) applications
- Work with domain experts to understand needs & constraints;
- Work with software engineers / vendors to integrate ML solutions in E&P workflows and provide scalable solutions in Pioneer’s Big Data Environment;
- Communicate sophisticated ML concepts to management, clients, business community to influence the strategy of the product.
Qualifications & Experience
- Graduate / Undergraduate students in Computer Science, Electrical / Mechanical / Industrial / Petroleum Engineering, Applied Mathematics/Statistics or a highly quantitative discipline.
- Excellent programming skills in Python, R and/or Java/C# is required. Production experience in Pyspark and Scala is a plus.
- Understanding or working experience in Big Data architectures such as Hadoop, Apache Spark while utilizing MySQL for ETL is a plus
- Good understanding of Drilling operations, Completions / Production is preferred but not a must and practical experience with other sensor/IoT related datasets.
- Familiarity with ML / Deep Learning frameworks such as PyTorch, Scikit-Learn, TensorFlow, Theano, Keras, Caffe or completed E&P projects demonstrating usage of these frameworks is a plus.
- Understanding and working experience of NoSQL/Multimodal Databases – Cassandra, Apache KUDU and/or — Document Store such as MongoDB, GraphDB is a plus.
- Experience with visualization tools such as TIBCO-Spotfire, Power BI or other BI tools is a plus (having UI experience would be ideal).
- Be excellent team players